Friday 6 March 2015

Experimenting with the design of the back cover and final design.

I made this quick edit of the back cover of my album:


I think that the back cover looks really empty, so am going to add an image I find on Google to make it look better and more professional.



I found an image of Lana Del Rey on Google to use, and added it to the left of the text and also to the right of it to see if it looked good and if it worked overall. I aren't going to use this design because I don't think it would be very conventional for an indie artist to include themselves on the back cover as it is usually quite a simple design.


The first thing I had to do was remove the marks on the image that had been caused from dust gathering on my lens when filming (this is the reason I am going to refilm this shot). I used the Spot Healing Brush for this (see below the first screenshot of the sky) and this worked really well as the sky now looks clear and I can now get on with creating the product.


I cropped the image down to a square size so that it would work as a back cover for an album. I particularly chose this part of the image because the colours work really well together and both the sky and the clouds can be seen together.


I then added the text and images to the back cover to follow the conventions of a back cover. - the album title, tracklist, record label's logo, artist's website and barcode. For the album title, I used the font 'Atelas' which is the exact same font I have been using on all my products to keep everything consistent, and for the tracklist I used one that is called 'Lemon/Milk' as this is a really bold font and I love how it capitalises all the letters - making the songs look even bolder and exuding confidence.


After looking at the product, I then decided to change the font's colour to white because I thought that the black font was a little too harsh and didn't compliment the image used as the background for the back cover.


Next, I moved all of the text so that they were aligned and were centralized.


I changed the font and colour of the artist's website because I felt that this was something that didn't work very well as it wasn't consistent with the other parts of the product. I also moved the record label's logo and barcode to the middle of the album because this made the back cover flow on a whole. I thought that the white border on the barcode was a slight distraction so searched for a new one that didn't have a background which I think looks a lot better. I also added some legal information as this is something that is very conventional on an album so that the artist and institution have legal rights to their product. 


Although a slight adjustment, I think that the last part of this really makes the product effective. I moved the text into the middle of the back cover so that it was perfectly centralized which I think makes it look really professional and tidy.



I then added a border around the text which I really liked off the album Glorious by Foxes, as I think this really defines the back cover and gives it a professional and neat finish. I also feel like it draws the back cover in slightly, giving the illusion that the composition is fuller and I think this is really effective because I don't want there to be lots of unused space as I think this looks unprofessional.


I then realised that I didn't have the contents of the other disc that I need to have in my digipak on the back cover, so added the text to the bottom of the track list showing what is on it. Because I am at college, I am unable to download the fonts that I require in order to make my products follow a consistent design. This means that I will have to edit this at home so that I can use the font that I want to use so that they all work as one.


I changed the font when I got home for the text in the 'bonus content' section. I also changed this to the phrase 'bonus disc' because it could be misconstrued as something that could be downloaded or something that is not in disc form. After looking at existing products and going back to the research I did before I created this, I realised that another convention is having the institution's website on, as the artist is signed to that company and therefore they need some advertisement. I edited the legal information on the back cover too because I needed a lot of information adding to it to make it look more like a professional product. I added the logo for the 'Anti-Piracy Warning' too as this is something that would need to be added as a prevention for someone so they don't illegally copy it or distribute it without consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment