Thursday 12 March 2015

Progression of the images behind the CD.




These three images are from the idea of doing the 'See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' images, but think that these images don't work very well because of how the artist's arms all of a sudden cut off which looks really unprofessional. I liked the idea of the first image but it hasn't worked how I wanted it to due to the arms being cut off. I then made the images a lot bigger on the canvas but was unsure if this looked good, because of how close the artist is in the foreground. I then had an idea to place the artist in a triangular shape (similarly to how Katy Perry has placed the track list for her album Prism), but think this looks really bad and unprofessional so am definitely not going to use any of these images on my product.


I had taken a picture of the back of my artist's head, as I was planning on placing this on the cover behind the front cover but have decided to do something different for this space. I really love how simple this image is and think it works really well as it contrasts with the other image I have created (that I am going to speak about below).



After placing these three images together, I had to change the opacity of the images so that they weren't in focus as much as the image in the foreground because I wanted to illustrate their unimportance through use of costume in reference to mise en scene.


I then opened up a document that was the correct width and height so that I could drag on the images. I moved the images that are going to be placed in the background on first to make sure they were in the place I wanted them in.


I then dragged on the other image of the artist that I wanted on the document. I used two images in the background where the artist is wearing a kimono (this is used to represent her 'popular' attitude and how she is trying to fit in with the other girls in the video) and one in the foreground where the artist is wearing a shirt (this represents her comfortable side and how she has decided against trying to fit into a mould and be seen as 'popular').


Above is a screenshot of how I used the tool Motion Blur on Photoshop to create the ghost effect that I have achieved below. This was a really simple thing to do and was more of an experimentation than something that I planned to do. I didn't blur the image too much as I wanted the artist to still be visible in the image but be blurred enough that she was out of focus.







I then used the Quick Selection Tool to select the part of the image that I wanted to edit, but found that this didn't work particularly well so instead decided to use a Quick Mask. What I wanted to do was alter the levels so that the image in the foreground was the brightest and the most focused on image as this is the message I want to create; how her feeling comfortable is her main ideology and that if she becomes popular then that is fine but she doesn't want to achieve this by being someone she isn't. This was only a slight adjustment but I think it has really helped emphasised this point.


I then selected the other parts of the image (the blurred parts) so that I could edit these to make the image look even better. I chose these three edits as my favourites and think they each look really good. I feel like the 2nd one looks a little flat and a bit too grey, though, which makes the image less effective due to it looking really unsaturated which I think wouldn't work on the particular product I am creating. I also like the 3rd image because of the really harsh lighting that has been caused, but again think this wouldn't work on the particular digipak I am creating. These are the reasons I have opted for the 1st image as my final product, as this combines the lighting that has been caused in the 3rd image (although not as harsh and is more subtle) and the plain colour in the 2nd image. This blend mode is called 'Linear Light' and I love how this image has turned out and think it will work really well with the rest of my digipak as it has a blue tint to it, which is a consistent theme through my product - due to the image of clouds being used on lots of the parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment